203-2034196_thinking-anime(…).png (392.45 KiB, 451x619) google saucenao
No.12510

What created the universe? What created life? Was it always there and will it always be there? Is it just a mystery we will never find the answer to?
It's crazy how far we've progressed as humanity yet we still have no clue about these fundamental issues.

No.12513

>What created the universe?
We don't know. Nothing?
>What created life?
Happened by chance. If that doesn't satisfy you, it might be because of the anthropic principle. If there are things in existence beyond this universe, the chances of there being life somewhere begins to approach certainty. If that still doesn't satisfy you, which it shouldn't, then we don't know.
>Was it always there and will it always be there?
If you're referring to the universe, it is believed that it came to be 13.7 billion years ago, and that it will either end one day, or will continue indefinitely but will eventually reach the heat death, where nothing interesting will ever happen again. If you're talking about why -anything- exists, well, who knows. It doesn't make much sense, does it? People will tell you that 'nonexistence' is a human concept and doesn't actually make sense, but that doesn't satisfy me and it probably doesn't satisfy you either.
>Is it just a mystery we will never find the answer to?
Yup.

No.12514

On the topic of why life exists:
It's also possible consciousness is a prerequisite to the universe, and that a universe couldn't exist -without- life to observe it. Therefore, the universe that exists has life. That may or may not be correct. It probably isn't.

No.12518

>Existence was a mistake...
t. Miyazaki-sama

No.12524

Humanity actually hasn't progressed much, if you think about it. At any rate, this shit needs to end.

No.12530

I haven't heard a good theory for what created the universe. But the god of the gaps is by far the dumbest theory Ive heard. If you believe that everything that exists must be contingent on some prior state, who made god? No wonder only schizoids and foids are religious these days. I personally think multiverse brane collision theory makes the most sense, but there is no physical evidence for it and it begs the questions: then how did the multiverse start and where did these branes come from?

We pretty much solved how life started on earth though. Astronomers have found light indicative of randomly forming amino acids in space, we have reproduced inorganic amino acid formation in the lab, and we successfully evolved new species in the lab in the 2000s (it took decades ofc).

The Selfish Gene does an excellent job of outlining how abiogenesis likely occurred, but in case you're illiterate I still got you bro. This website demonstrates how life-like behavior can result from nothing more than a set of universal rules and a set of particles with various properties: https://fnky.github.io/particle-life/ No intelligent design required.

I'll happily explain more if anything is unclear.

No.12531

>>12510
>yet we still have no clue about these fundamental issues.
It's all written in the book of books anon.

No.12539
img.jpg (76.23 KiB, 796x583) google saucenao

>>12531
Indeed it is.

No.12546

>>12539
Ja heil!

No.12548

>>12531
Even if my waifu entered the 3D realm and offered to let me ravage every hole on her body, I'd send her back into the computer if she tried to make me read the bible.

No.12550

>>12548
Well, is fuck her first, THEN send her back. Bottom line: religion is gay. That's why priests are constantly having those sex scandals

No.12551

>>12548
Edgy teenager or what? :3

No.12553

>>12548
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwmZ0X8TCLyaZ045cUpnNHFnYWs/edit?resourcekey=0-Iy5YzKPoIT3GSv_K0YHnEA

Doesn't hurt to read, anon.

No.12556
smug.png (212.77 KiB, 516x503) google saucenao

>>12553
True. The reason I became an atheist was sitting down and actually reading the bible. Couldn't hurt to read, anon: https://skepticsannotatedbible.com

the incest scene with Lot and his slutty daughters is always fun to fap to tho

No.12559

>>12556
Thanks anon!

No.12560

Catholicism is fun and there are many cool items avaliable to upgrade your character like pic related

No.12562

>>12560
Catholicism is cringe and strays away from true, sober Christianity. The pope is a demigod and all the old men raping the choir boys are always Catholic too. Never understood why that heathen flavor of Christianity is so popular under "altright" people.

No.12563

>>12562
Catholicism is strong where anon lives. Just don't take everything so serious, HE gave us humor. See it more like a LARP and level up. One day you'll notice god's mild influences. :3

No.12564

>>12560
Shinto has talismans you can equip too, but you ALSO can pay a few bucks extra for a priest to enhance it by striking a spark producing metal over it. It's really like a video game! I wish I took a vid of the guy doing it when I was there, because it's really hard to find anything about this online for some reason... it's definitely a service some (poorer) shrines offer tho.

I'm one of the resident reddit antitheists, but if I had to pick one it'd probably be shinto. If you're gonna be religious anyway, at least make it feel more like a video game instead of a part-time job you pay money to do

No.12565

>>12564
>Shinto has talismans you can equip too, but you ALSO can pay a few bucks extra for a priest to enhance it by striking a spark producing metal over it. It's really like a video game!
Heresy! But who cares, everyone should do what he feels most comfy with. For me it's the religion anon grew up with. Anon is naive to reddit, it has so many rules and normies.

No.12568

>>12565
Oh, I don't actually use reddit lol. "reddit atheist" is just a figure-of-speech.

How do you reconcile being a NEET with your religion?

No.12569

>>12568
>How do you reconcile being a NEET with your religion?
Well it's more a meditative thing, haven't been to church for over a decade here, but I've been to taizé for their holy week around Easter . That was intense. Can't really describe it but theres a strong feeling of community and despite i had to take a lot of xanax first to kill the anxiety but damn that was the best trip ofy life.
The human brain seems kinda made for exactly this.

No.12571

>>12569
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiz%C3%A9_Community

No.12572

>>12569
Glad you found something that brings you joy anon! Religious people usually try to act like they don't do religion for selfish, hedonistic, pleasure-seeking, pain-avoiding reasons, but they all do. Like you suggest, for people with certain brains, religious practices straight-up feel good. No different than getting blasted on crystal meth or black tar heroin. And that's great! Everyone's got their memetic or chemical drug of choice in our cozy dystopia.

No.12573

>>12572
Religion is comfy and anon thinks that a sense of community, of being part of something bigger can strengthen a community or even have an impact on society. A positive. Not that sharia bs.

No.12575

>>12573
If there is a god you win. If there's none, you had at least a nice time.

No.12578

>>12575
You actually miss out on a lot by being religious. I couldn't imagine living in fear of a skydaddy's wrath for my entire life, always terrified to step out of line for fear that he will smite me down and torture me eternally.

Of course, the optimal way to progress through life is always doing whatever you feel like

No.12582

>>12578
Protip: take it easy. Anon doesn't live in fear at all... it's not just on and off with religion, hou can be a bit religious - just as much as you please. God will understand that. Or I'm fuarked.

No.12592

>>12582
Ah, so you're in the "God is real and cool" camp. Isn't it neat that we end up both being able to live exactly how we please, despite me being the "god is fake and gay" camp? I doubt how we live is all that different anyway. And remember, like it says on Austin's Wager, if god does actually care about not saying his name in a mean way (it's one of the 10 commandments after all, right up there with do not steal) and you get sent to hell, you still don't have to worry. The Bible says God loves his creation, right? No parent who loves his child would torture them infinitely for a finite crime. So if God sends you to hell, there's no way he actually loves you. If the bible was lying about God's love, it stands to reason that it lies about everything else too. And if God is that much of a piece of shit, a corollary is that the angel who rebelled against God (AKA the devil) is actually good.

Yes, Austin's Wager is truly the answer to Pascal's Wager. It's a win-win no matter which camp you're in!

No.12598

>>12539
Nice one!

No.12599

>>12548
Based, although i would make her read it cover to cover in the hopes she becomes an atheist!

No.12600
angelsmug.jpg (185.91 KiB, 1920x1080) google saucenao

>>12556
Lot knew his daughters well! [spoiler]IYKWIM[/spoiler']

No.12601

>>12600
>'
FUCK I HATE MY KEYBOARD!!!!

No.12603

>>12564
Based.
Also Sumo is the ancient Shinto art of LOSER STOMPING!
>>12578
On top of all the earthy tortures I have to endure I don't need a so-called loving god to molest me after I'm dead!
>>12578
I'm in the "God is fake and gay" camp myself.

No.12604

>>12603
Fuck this I'm off to bed!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

No.12605

>>12592
Anon isn't even sure about the whole god thing. Feels agnostic. But it's nice - anon likes rituals and meditation.
"A nd now abide faith, hope, love, these three; But the greatest of t hese is love."
Sounds comfy to this anon.

No.12606

>>12605
I meditate and then masturbate, using mindfulness to enhance my orgasm.

No.12607

>>12606